Does your bill appear to be higher than normal?

Between the dates listed on your last bill, did you do any of the following:

  • Have guests in your home;
  • Landscape your yard (i.e. Put down sod/grass);
  • Pressure wash your driveway or house; or
  • Have any plumbing repairs completed, even if minor.

If any one of the above applies, then this could be a reason for the increase in your consumption and your bill. If none of the above applies, then we suggest you conduct a leak test.


The best method for determining whether you have a water leak in your home is to follow this four step procedure.

  • Turn off all water around the house including outside spigots.
  • Look at the leak indicator (triangle) on your meter register.
  • If the leak indicator is moving, water is running somewhere in your system.
  • Check all toilets and inside and outside faucets for leaks.

If you cannot account for the running water by sinks, toilet, faucets, humidifier, automatic icemaker or water softener, you have a leak, and further investigation is recommended.

Ninety percent of all leaks in residential plumbing systems are found in the toilet tank.

Toilets leak at the bottom of the tank around the flapper valve or at the top of the tank at the overflow tube. To test the flapper valve, remove the lid from the back of the tank and mark the water level in your toilet tank with a pencil. Turn off the water supply to the toilet. If the water remains on the mark you made for 10 minutes, the flapper valve is not leaking. If the water level drops below the mark you made, the flapper valve is leaking and should be replaced.

The water level in the toilet tank should be at least 1 inch below the top of the overflow tube. If the water level in the toilet tank is at the top of the overflow tube, a leak may be occurring there. The float that controls the water level in the tank should be adjusted so that the water level in the tank is roughly 1 inch below the top of the tube.

Toilet tank leaks typically result from worn parts or improper alignment of some part of the flushing mechanism. Most repairs can be done by an experienced “do it yourself” person. If you are unsure how to handle the job, you may consider calling a plumber. Water leaks are costly. A leak that drips at the rate of one drip per second can waste more than 3,000 gallons per year, which is about 180 showers worth. It is very important to stop the leak.

For more tips on how to detect leaks please click here.  

Back to Top


Adjustments to water and sewer accounts for leaks, that are classified as non-routine and are not preventable by proper maintenance, are available upon qualification. Once the leak repair has been completed, a Leak Adjustment Request Form along with the appropriate repair statement must be submitted for an adjustment to be considered. A copy of a plumber or contractors repair bill must accompany this request for adjustment. If you repaired the leak yourself, a copy of the materials purchase receipt must accompany the request. Please note that the form is not a guarantee that a credit will be applied to your bill. If a credit is issued, it will be reflected on your next bill. In most cases, an adjustment credit will only reduce and not eliminate an entire bill. You will be responsible for any remaining amounts. You will be notified if the request cannot be granted or if additional information is needed. Your request can be submitted via:

Back to Top


Fulton County offers a one-time sewer service  credit to customers for filling their pools. To qualify for a pool fill credit, you must receive sewer service from Fulton County. If the qualifications are met, the credit is applied to the sewer portion of the bill. For this reason, Water Only accounts DO NOT qualify for a pool fill credit. Please note that a pool fill credit is a one-time credit. Exception: If you made repairs to your pool and it was necessary to refill the pool.

To request a pool fill credit please fill out a  Pool Fill Credit Request Form.  

You will be notified if the request cannot be granted or if additional information is needed. Your request can be submitted via:  

Back to Top